October 19, 2008

Rustic Autumn Fruit Tart


This weekend was nice and cool~ I love fall! Adam came home today after five days in Cleavland at a paleontology conference, so I wanted to make a nice dinner for him. Upon his request, I made Arroz con pollo verde (Peruvian chicken and green rice). So good! I also made this *delicious* dessert. It is sooooooooooooooo good. And easy! I got it out of a Taste of Home magazine, and I highly recommend trying it on a crisp, fall day when you want to get warm fuzzies =)

Rustic Autumn Fruit Tart

1/2 cup butter, softened
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 large apples, peeled and thinly sliced
1 medium pear, peeled and thinly sliced
4 1/2 tsp cornstarch
1 tsp ground cinnamon (maybe more)
1/4 tsp ground cloves (I used this instead of nutmeg)
1/4 tsp ground cardamom (didn't use- it was $10!!!)
1/4 cup orange juice
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup apricot jam, warmed

In a small mixing bowl, beat butter and cream cheese until smooth. Gradually add flour, beating just until mixture forms a ball (I just ended up using my hands). Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. In a large bowl, combine apples and pears. In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and spices; stir in orange juice until smooth. Stir in brown sugar until blended. Add to apple mixture and stir gently to coat. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough into a 14" circle. Transfer to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Spoon filling over the pastry to within 2" of edges. Fold up edges of pastry over filling, leaving center uncovered (don't worry about it looking pretty...it's rustic!). Bake at 375 for 40-45 minutes or until crust is golden and filling is bubbly. Spread with apricot jam. Using parchment paper, slide tart onto a wire rack to cool. 6 servings.

YUM!!!!

No comments: